A sad but true story

Introduction:
For those who don’t know me, I am a medical professional. I’ve been an RN for 5 years in the Pacific Northwest. I’ve seen the good, the bad, and everything in between. Mainly working ED (commonly known as ER). But every so often, I’ll thke a few clinic shifts. This story I am about to share has been eating me up for the last 2.5 years. Names and locations will not be disclosed (HIPAA).

Story:
This we’ll be a reader’s digest version (condensed).

While taking an extra shift at a clinic, I had a patient of 9y/o. Starting with basic triage (Temp, BP, HR, and, O2) Basic charting, prepping them for the MD. While entering results I spotted a diagnosis code I haven’t seen before (W46.1XXA). Which translates to Contact with contaminated hypodermic needle. Long sorry short, this child was infected with HIV from a needle carelessly left out from thier parents drug usage. Later found out the the child was removed from the home and placed with a loving family, who takes them to their bimonthly appointments to check their t-cell count. This child can no longer be a child. They were forced to take control of their life and future at too early of age.

Closing:
I’m sorry, if this is depressing for some. I will never forget this child. I just needed to throw it out there.

4 Likes

Ya dude not a good story but a true one ! Sucks for the kids.
Over here read a lot of this in the paper kids getting hold of pills off the counter and now the fentynal geez just look at the stuff kids O.D on it had one last week !!

1 Like