Are Gamertags Affected By Penalties?

Hey all, got a quick question purely out of curiosity. If a person were to be moderated (but not banned) by Microsoft and recieve permanent penalty, does that impact the Gamertag in any way, or does it only impact the account? Basically, what I’m asking is if someone were to purchase a different Gamertag for their penalized account, then start a new account using the Gamertag formerly used by the penalized account, would the penalties carry over to the new account? I wouldn’t think they would, but Microsoft may be smart enough to track and associate the penalties to the Gamertags in addition to the account. For example, if someone was caught achievement modding and was branded a cheater/unable to unlock achievements in games previously played, if the method I suggest works, it would seem like a simple way to keep your old alias without a penalized account if you’re willing to toss a few bucks towards the Gamertag change.

I thinki’m correct in saying they ban your account file, not name. So gamertag isn’t taken into consideration, unless of course, it’s inappropriate and the cause of the ban in the first place.

Remember, you need to be able to sign into the account to change the GT.

They track your xbox account with the hotmail you used to register. So… don’t spend money changing your gamertag because the penalty won’t carry over.

EDIT:

if someone were to purchase a different Gamertag for their penalized account, then start a new account using the Gamertag formerly used by the penalized account

I don’t think Microsoft care to disable you from changing gamertag if the account is penalized. It’s profit for them and win for you (win/win).