BitDefender

Is disinfecting and removing the game EXE you choose to play, even after turning the advanced threat detection off and making everything an exception with the new preview. I tried it with cyberpunk, jurassic world evolution and mass effect andromeda. All games end up being blocked from running after disinfection, task manager shows them as running but nothing is being used. Had to uninstall and re-install all 3 to find out it still blocks them, the only way I could play them was to remove BitDefender.

This only happens with the new preview, the old version 6 works fine with the new BitDefender.

Hello there.

Thank you for taking the time to report this. :slight_smile:

BitDefender is known to be extremely aggressively trigger-happy, often excessively so. I have in the recent past also seen reports of BitDefender even blocking crucial Windows files that the Windows 10 operating system actually relies on to run smoothly.

Personally, I would recommend seeking a different antivirus service, due to BitDefender’s reputation as a bit of a drunk cowboy, but this is entirely up to you. If you would still like to continue to use BitDefender, please check out this gude by @Instinct and follow the instructions there: How to white-list WeMod in BitDefender!.

Bitdefender is blocking the actual games (not WeMod)? That’s new

It blocked WeMod & the exe’s at the same time.

Can you list the specific files that it blocked?

Sorry I didn’t get screenshots and I no longer have BD installed at the moment. I just got annoyed rather quickly. Both WeMod and game exe were blocked at same time though, I kept getting 2 notifications each time.

1 Like

I checked my BD account this morning :

malware found in

C:\Users\wodfa\AppData\Local\WeMod\app-7.0.0-preview10\resources\app.asar.unpacked\static\unpacked\auxiliary\WeModAuxiliaryService.exe

Edit : since then, I followed the guide @Ravenfyre posted with BD and tested new preview with bloons6? no problems at all. Sorry for any alarm caused.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know about it. It is better that we find out now rather than during a public release.

I should probobly have posted something about this aswell as i got more or less the same warning(See pic)

though i managed to solve this myself by following that guide that was linked here from before as it’s not the first time BD have been annoying to use with WeMod.

Now everything works fine without any false warnings when adding it as an exception.

2 Likes

@kagero @Gesriagne The latest preview update (14) has some changes that may fix this. Can you confirm Bitdefender doesn’t act up if you remove WeMod from the exclusions list?

Hello @frank, for me it stills blocks it (see pic)

after i uppdated WeMod to preview 14 (see pic).

1 Like

Just tested it, both BloonsTD6 and WeMod were blocked after turning exceptions off.

It does that right after you click play? Which version of Bitdefender do you have? I’m testing with the free version.

Bitdefender Total Security either 2020/21 not sure which.

1 Like

For me it closes it more or less 3-6 seconds after i press play. I use Bitdefender Total Security 2020/2021 version: 25.0.10.52.

1 Like

Great, I’ll check that out tomorrow :+1: Thank you both for the info!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, bypassing the security in the non-free version would turn into a cat-and-mouse game that we can’t afford to keep up with :confused: WeModAuxiliaryService.exe has to be added as an Advanced Threat Defense exclusion for it to work. Since the location changes with every WeMod update, this’ll have to be done each time. I will look into ways we can keep that file in a static location in future updates though.