Bungie Kills Destiny Loot Cave

Bye bye, Loot Cave. Bungie has finally cracked down on the now-iconic exploit that players were using to get loads and loads of loot in the multiplayer shooter Destiny, which Bungie released earlier this month for PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

A patch that went live this afternoon officially nerfed the cave and reduced the spawn rate, effectively killing it as a place to farm loot:

[QUOTE]The Hive of the holy “Treasure Cave” have realized the futility of their endless assault on Skywatch and have retired to lick their wounds and plan their next attack.

The Loot Cave—a landmark on Destiny’s Earth that would spawn an infinite number of new enemies—had become a popular place for high-level players to congregate and grind for loot over the past few weeks, to the point where it was something of a meme. In many ways the Loot Cave served as an apt metaphor for the addictive-yet-excruciating grind of Destiny itself, as Kirk captured in his review. Now it’s no more.

And here’s Bungie explaining their logic behind killing the cave:

The social experience of a cave farming run is amazing: the herding to get a team of Guardians all behind the line and firing in the right direction, the rush to grab the loot, the scramble when the panic wave starts, the beckoning glow from inside the cave. The speed at which the community organized around this activity was inspiring and humbling to us.

But shooting at a black hole for hours on end isn’t our dream for how Destiny is played. Our hope is that social engagement in public spaces is only one part of the Destiny experience. Expect changes soon which decrease the efficiency of cave farming and correspondingly increase engram drops from completing activities.1

[/QUOTE]
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later…

I kind of expected it…

Expected the loot cave patch, not the ascendant materials you’re supposed to get from dismantling legendary items that you get from queen’s kill orders missions. SOOOOOOOOOOO dumb, as if getting ascendant materials wasn’t hard enough…

thats the purpose is for them to take time farming and yea i understand them doing that cus i meant u can get 12 shards ez a day thats lvl 30 in little time if u do ur bounties wait till the next day and so on but who wouldnt play the day out

At least there’s still the dark beyond method. You won’t get as many engrams as you could before but it’s still good for glimmer farming.

Good.

Man, now how am I supposed to get Fusions Rifles so I can complete this exotic bounty?
…even though I was barely rewarded them when farming.

Like others, I understand Bungie’s reason(s) and wouldn’t want the same if it were my baby, but with as often as the game seemed to give useless items after completing a mission/Strike/etc. they have to understand our reason(s) as well. In the end, since there is no going back, I know there is another farm method in one of the Moon missions and I’m sure there will be more methods discovered as we progress into the game, but, for now, I’m going to go back to grinding out Lvl. 24 Strike missions.

Here you go

At least when you get enough vanguard marks for doing these strikes you get to choose what you want rather than getting something for another class.