Games are detected but Infinity cannot launch or attach

Hi all,

Having an issue with Infinity not able to start any games with the the message being shown is just the standard “We had trouble starting your game! Make sure it’s installed correctly, and try running Infinity as an Administrator.”

Things I’ve attempted:

• Clean install - uninstalling via control panel and deleting all Infinity entries in RegEdit as well as AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming
  • Added Infinity and its folders as exceptions to AV and Windows Defender
  • Running Infinity as as administrator
  • Disabling, stopping, and restarting WMI service
  • Confirmed Infinity is finding game paths correctly - all directories and paths in installations.json are correct and games are detected on Infinity, no manual work needed
  • Launching game and then trying to attach via “Start Game” button but issue still persists
  • Running Infinity in compatibility mode - this broke the client into only showing blank panels so I had to reverse it
  • Tried closing default game launchers, i.e. Origin, Steam

I’m running W7 64-bit and this issue is the case for all games in my library. They are all legit copies through Origin and Steam. Any and all help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Do you get an error code or a simple uh oh message?

If no error codes then its wmic issue, try the suggestions in this thread

If there is an error code, let me know which and the game you’re trying it on.

Hi STN, thanks for your reply. I don’t get an error code and I’ve tried restarting the WMI service as well as updating the variable path via WMIC. Neither of these resolved the issue. I am getting this for all games, not just one in particular. However they are all legitimate copies through Steam or Origin, if that makes a difference. None of them are standalone retail copies.

Press ctrl+shift+d in infinity and see if any errors/warnings pop-up when you try to launch a game through infinity.

Updating wmic path should’ve solved this if that was the issue.

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Command failed: wmic process get
ProcessID,WorkingSetSize,ExecutablePath,Name
The system cannot execute the specified program.

at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:218:12)
at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:877:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:226:5)

The above error is what I’m getting so it’s a little different but changing the environment variable path does not resolve this. I’ve tried changing the path to the one in the thread you linked earlier as well as manually editing it but this didn’t change anything.

Right so wmic is failing for some reason. @frank can better suggest a solution.

The next update of infinity will remove all dependencies (wmic etc) so this won’t even be an issue.

Sounds good. Thanks for trying to help. :slight_smile: