Horizon won't load

So I have used Horizon for years, probably since 2012. I have never had errors with it until the v2 version wouldn’t work. That was years ago on a Windows 7 laptop, and now I’m having the same problem with the latest version, on Windows 10. Whenever I load it, it shows the Horizon startup logo and then it goes, and Horizon doesn’t show up. When I start it, it shows up in task manager in background processes then goes to apps, once the logo goes, so does the task in task manager, and it isn’t anywhere in task manager. I always have a white square in the far right of the task bar after opening it: [Here](http://i.imgur.com/oZGW7iQ.png). I have turned Malwarebytes and the firewall/windows defender off, and still nothing. I have run it under administrator and in Windows 7 and 8 compatability mode. I have tried looking around for help but found nothing, and saw someone saying they could use it on Windows 10, so I know this shouldn’t be the reason why. I have the latest .NET framework installed, so I doubt that is the reason either. I did send an email through “email us”, it said the email wasn’t sent yet, I closed the pop-up and it had the stuff I put in for them to read, however upon clicking “send”, nothing happened so I’m resulting to posting in this forum. Hopefully someone can get back with help. Thanks.

2 Likes

Your not the only one having this problem, been trying to use the program ever since the last update, mine also shows the logo but never opens… its annoying as I have once posted about this problem, but the only reply I get is to uninstall and try to install it again. Also I am running Windows 10 too.

1 Like

Make sure you have .net 3.5 installed as it is required for Horizon regardless of what other version you have.

I have .NET 4.5 installed. I’m pretty sure it should still work on 4.5.

It needs 3.5 as Chris mentioned above.

Get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

I downloaded it, tried to install it, nothing would open once I clicked yes when it asked to run it in UAC, nothing loaded, looked online and it said to go to Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off and tick “.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)”, I tick that, restart and still Horizon doesn’t open.

Make sure you have all the MS C++ distribution packs installed back to at least 2008. The only time I’ve had issues running it is if A) it is outdated or B) I have a program such as fiddler running that is monitoring internet traffic.

I forgot about the Fiddler thing. I’m going to remove that if it’s still there… Completely worthless.

That shouldn’t be the problem here though. There’s only a few programs in that blacklist.

I installe MS C++ Redistribution Package from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29, I was given the option to repair or uninstall it, I done both and restarted after chosing both options, however Horizon still won’t open. I have uninstalled Malwarebytes, nothing. Is there a list of porgrams that I can see that are knowingly to have stopped Horizon from working?

We have no list of known programs that interfere with Horizon as there shouldn’t be any. I have malwarebytes and that doesn’t cause any issues.

Well is there nothing I can do for Horizon to work then? When it was this logo: http://i.imgur.com/FOYqJ3I.png I was able to use it, but since it changed to this logo: http://i.imgur.com/qlxCoY1.png and all the versions since that one, I’ve never been able to use it on this laptop. Is there anywhere I could get older versions from?

We do not support old version and do not distribute them. It is impossible for us to know what is stopping Horizon from loading on your computer. The only recommendation I have is run Horizon on a virtual machine or sandiebox and see if that changes anything.

I have tried in Sandboxie, but I’ll try the installation and runnning Horizon through it. I’ll try find a Windows 7 ISO for a Virtual machine if installing it through Sandboxie fails, and reply with what happened.

I should also note, that when I first tried installing it, the progress bar went red and I got an error twice, I don’t know what I done to fix that, but is there a directory where it stores error logs? And no luck with it working in Sandboxie, so I’ll try through a VM soon.

I don’t think Horizon stores any errors but I know windows does. Press windows + r then copy and paste Eventvwr.msc to get to the error logs/event viewer. I’m not sure if windows deletes them or not.

What version of windows 10 are you using?

I can’t find the logs, there’s a lot and I’m not sure what time it was at. I’m using Windows 10 Home. I can’t find a Windows 7 ISO Without needing an actiation code unless I torrent one, so I can’t check it via virtual machine for now.

Ok, I got a Windows 7 ISO, and I’ve got Horizon to work, however it’s going to be a pain opening the Virtual Machine then opening Horizon in there, etc. Whenever I want to use it. It seems that a lot of people have the same problem like I do, so hopefully a Virtual Machine would be a good alternative until this problem is solved. However with 4GB RAM dedicated to the Windows 7 VM, it does still take atleast 1-2 minutes for Horizon to load, so people with a lower amount of dedicated RAM would be slower. Hopefully whatever is causing this problem for multiple people is found and fixed in a future update.

Cheater has looked into it before and without us being able to reproduce the problem it is near impossible to fix. My only other suggestion is wipe your HDD and reinstall windows.

Horizon is so broken and unbootable in Windows 10. I don’t know how it works on the other previous windows, I tried compatibility mode and that didn’t work either. The Horizon logo just shows up and nothing more. I have all the Microsoft NET frameworks from 3.5 to 4.6. I have all the visual c++ redistributables from 2005 to 2015. I tried this on both Windows 10 build 10586 (current official build) to the newest insider preview of Windows 10 Redstone build 11099. It doesn’t even work with Sandboxed by the way, still cancels out by it’s self. Looks like it’s gonna take a while for this console modding program to be fixed. At least the PC modding program Infinity Beta works flawlessly.

Just use a Virtual Machine, if you have a good PC you should be able to have Horizon run fast in it. If not, atleast you could still get it to work. I guess I’ll have to stick with using Horizon until they do something with Horizon by accident for it to work again.