How to Get Really Good Quality From The Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Card

I’m hoping that this thread doesn’t die in a week, I worked really hard on it. I doubt that it will happen, but if someone could sticky this for me It would mean a lot.

[details=Video Tutorial] I give big credit to ZASchwartzZA for this video tutorial. You can find his YouTube channel here.

YouTube - Hauppauge HD PVR Capturing Settings - BEST

YouTube - Hauppauge HD PVR Sony Vegas 9 Render Settings - BEST[/details]

[details=Text Tutorial]In this tutorial I will be going over my Hauppauge HD PVR capture settings with Total Media Extreme, and my render and editing settings in Sony Vegas Pro 9.0. Thanks for viewing at my tutorial, and be sure to enjoy it!

Part 1: Hauppauge HD PVR Total Media Extreme Capture Settings

On the left hand side of Total Media Extreme you’ll notice that you can change the settings when you record. Here you can change your device settings, format settings, and much more. Changing the capture settings doesn’t affect quality by much, but they are still important, which is why we’re going over them.

Section 1: Video Input, Audio Input, and PC Audio Mode

I use these settings for my Video Input, Audio Input, and my PC Audio Mode:

Video Input, Audio Input, and my PC Audio Mode Settings

Section 2: Device Settings

I use these settings for my Device Settings:

[details=Device Settings Settings]Video Proc Amp:

Video Decoder:
[/details]

Section 3: Format Settings

I use these settings for my Format Settings:

Format Settings Settings

Section 4: Container Format

Make sure to select “PLAYSTATION 3” on the left hand side of Total Media Extreme. This makes the capture module export the files as M2TS files, which is a very good container format.

I use these settings for my Container Format Settings:

Container Format Settings

That’s it for your capture settings, now on to editing and rendering a clip that you captured with the above settings in Total Media Extreme. We’ll be using Sony Vegas 9.0 to edit and render our recording.

Part 2: Hauppauge HD PVR Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 Editing

Editing your recording definitely matters the most when it comes to quality. Since this part is the most important, take note of the settings that I use.

Section 1: Project Video Properties

In Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 start a new project by clicking “file”, then by clicking “new”.

I use these settings for my Project Video Properties:

[details=Project Video Properties Settings]Video Settings:

Audio Settings:

Make sure to save these settings by clicking on the save button ()

The other settings (Ruler, Summary, and Audio CD) don’t matter, just keep them the same.[/details]

Section 2: Removing the Small Black “Bars” on your recording

If you’ll notice, there’ll usually be two small black “bars” on your recording. There’s one on the top of the recording which is about 1 pixel large, and there’s another on the right of the recording which is about 2 pixels large.

If you want to remove these, right click on your video, and select “Properties”. Under properties un-check “Maintain aspect ratio”. Once you’ve done that click “OK”.

Once you’ve done that, simply crop out any black “bars” that you see with the crop tool ()

Section 3: Disabling Resample

This is very easy, simply right click on your video, and select “Properties”. Under properties select “Disable resample”. Once you’ve done that click “OK”. This sharpens text on the screen to better match the video’s sharpness.

Section 4: Editing

Editing brings out quality by a lot, so I recommend following this part of the tutorial.

To add these editing effects, select “Video FX”. This will bring you to a whole menu of different effects that you can add to your video.

Section 4 A: Color Corrector

In the menu on the right side of the screen, find Color Corrector and click on it. Once you’ve done that, click and drag “Reset to None” onto your clip. A menu should pop up.

I use these settings for the Color Corrector:

[details=Color Corrector Settings]

Make sure to save these settings by clicking on the save button ()[/details]

Section 4 B: Color Curves

In the menu on the right side of the screen, find Color Curves and click on it. Once you’ve done that, click and drag “Reset to None” onto your clip. A menu should pop up.

I use these settings for the Color Curves:

[details=Color Curves Settings]

Section 4 C: Saturation Adjust

In the menu on the right side of the screen, find Saturation Adjust and click on it. Once you’ve done that, click and drag “Reset to None” onto your clip. A menu should pop up.

I use these settings for the Saturation Adjust:

[details=Saturation Adjust Settings]

Section 4 D: Sharpen

In the menu on the right side of the screen, find Sharpen and click on it. Once you’ve done that, click and drag “Reset to None” onto your clip. A menu should pop up.

You don’t have to mess with the settings for this effect, just keep them the same. You also don’t have to save a preset for it, since “Reset to None” is a default preset.

Now you can make any other edits such as clipping. Once you’re done we can move on to Rendering the video.

Part 3: Hauppauge HD PVR Sony Vegas 9.0 Rendering

Rendering the video is the next most important step. Follow these instructions carefully.

Section 1: Rendering the video

You can render your clip by clicking “File” and then clicking “Render As”. This will bring you to a menu.

I use these settings for the menu:

Menu Settings

Now click on the “Custom” button on the ride side of the menu. Another menu should pop up.

I use these settings for the Custom Settings:

[details=Custom Settings Settings]

[details=Video Settings]
[/details]

[details=Audio Settings]
[/details]

[details=Project Settings]
[/details]

Now you’re done! Just click the “Save” button on the ride side of the menu once you’re ready to render your video. Once the video is finished rendering you can upload it to one of your favorite video sharing sites for viewing.

If this helped you please click the “Thanks” button below!

Thanks for reading!

• FilthyHeadshot[/details]

Good Post

Thanks for the feedback!