Mass Effect 2 Cheats and Trainer for Steam

Renaming the exe file should work. Never had problems with Origin if I renamed the exe file. Though I never used Infinity with it. Don’t have ME2 installed currently otherwise I would’ve tested it but @Wraith79 try to rename the exe file in the folder and report back.

The fix is the origin version is free right now

It still is? That’s where i grabbed my copy. @Wraith79 Grab the game from origin, its completely free right now.
https://www.origin.com/ind/en-us/store/mass-effect/mass-effect-2/standard-edition

yea, its the origin on the house thing. and all dlc and stuff should be linked to their origin account through the bioware site

Thanks for the Answes, already got it running. Renaming the File works, big thanks

@Kryten9x4b Are you sure you’re running me2game.exe because look at the size of the other exe, it shouldn’t be that big or big at all or perhaps exist. I am thinking steam is still running masseffect2.exe instead of me2game. Can you launch the game if you remove masseffect2.exe?(back it up somewhere).

Look at this (origin)

@STN It seems that steam takes over & opens the other application.
When I move the other version I get this error instead.

I don’t know what to do, if i support steam, origin breaks and vice versa.

You can get origin 100% free though so i suggest that.
https://www.origin.com/ind/en-us/store/mass-effect/mass-effect-2/standard-edition

Or just run the same exe origin uses from steam files, you just won’t have the overlay

I don’t think that will work? Steam has protection etc in the exe which will be missing from origins exe. I am not sure though.

Game is free anyway, origin is not bad

I used the steam version to play through with infinity, you just need to launch from me2game.exe or whatever and then connect infinity

Didn’t you get the exe missing error like poster above? idk why it won’t work for him.

I think I did once after launching through origin once, the I verified files,

@STN
Thanks, have downloaded the origin version & that goes good.
Awesome work.

So just like several others, I’m running into issues trying to launch with a Steam copy of the game. I’ve tried renaming the exe file and I’ve tried verifying the game directory with the renamed copy and delete original exe, but none of that has worked, nor can I get it to run off the renamed exe at all (same as Kryten9x4b). Now you don’t need to remind be that the consensus here so far has been to just download the Origin Standard Edition version but I’ve already paid for the Deluxe version through Steam and would much rather play that.

Is there really no way to make it so the user can select exactly which exe file can be used (ME2Game or MassEffect2) by the trainer or make it so Infinity can use either one?

Update: Was somehow able to reuse the Deluxe key from Steam on Origin, but of course Origin has decided to stop working properly (won’t install any DLC and game doesn’t want to launch properly) so it’s back to square one.

I’ll ask @frank if infinity can do that.

Right now i can only support one or the other.

Unfortunately Infinity will not have that functionality till v3, which is currently in the works. You’ll be able to select between multiple EXEs when launching the game.

Thanks @frank. Hopefully that will make for smoother operation down the road.

Small Update: Got Origin working but I’ve run into a new problem. The game likes to crash when taking certain actions (opening a specific door, paragon action, selecting certain dialog, etc.) and what’s odd about it is there is some correlation between these crashes and the trainer; how they’re correlated, I have no idea. The crashes are not random because if I repeat that same action the same crash will happen, however, if I launch the game without using the trainer it seems the crashes will not happen (I’ll keep fiddling with that). Trouble is, I looks like disabling the trainer functions midgame will not prevent crashes from happening nor can it be predicted at this time what actions will cause the crashes; either the trainer is on from the start, or it isn’t.

The concern with this is that the trainer can cause impassable areas of the storyline. For example, I was part way through the Archangel mission and I couldn’t just go back and stop doing the mission but I couldn’t go forward because the one door I had to go through would crash the game ever time I tried opening it. The only time I was able to get through it was when the trainer was off, but after entering the door and starting the cinematic bit, I started the trainer and the game crashed yet again.

Update: It seems the issue is linked to specific cinematic sequences. @STN

1 Like

i cant seem to connect mass effect 2 throught steam at all it says not a valid game

Can you screenshot your game folder (with game exes in it) and the folder structure? Steam is different from origin and i need to add it before infinity can recognize.