Microsoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion

Microsoft is allegedly nearing a deal to acquire Mojang, the creator of Minecraft and Scrolls, for $2 billion.

According to the Wall Street Journal, this deal could be finalised as early as this week.

Minecraft has gone on to sell 50 million copies since its release in 2009, while Mojang made $100 million in profits last year.

This would be a surprising move, if it happens, because Mojang founder Markkus “Notch” Persson has always been critical of giant corporations. In fact, he cancelled the Oculus version of Minecraft once the VR company sold to Facebook.

We’ve reached out to both Microsoft and Mojang and will update should either party shed more light on the matter.

[b]Source - Microsoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion - report | Eurogamer.net

I wonder what this means for Minecraft? Will it change?

I highly doubt this will go through. It will be a stupid move on Mojangs part.

$2,000,000,000 though :sunglasses:

I seriously hope this doesn’t happen. Microsoft would kill Minecraft if they owned it.

inb4 paying for diamonds and tools

Personally, if I were in Notch’s shoes, I wouldn’t know which road to go down. On one side you have two billion dollars sitting, waiting for one, in this case a group of people, to deposit and enjoy for the rest of your life and on the other side you have the ability of keeping a game in which you created/grew that could become much more than it already is!

Than again, one side allows him to not work for the rest of his life (even though he already has a lot thanks to Minecrafts success) while the other would allow him to continue doing what he loves; definitely has a hard choice to make!

Easy choice for me, it’s 2 BILLION that’s crazy money. Obviously he wouldn’t get it all but still.

Honestly, I’d probably be in the same boat as you and take the money. Why you ask?..because if I had that amount of money than I’d be set for the rest of my life and be able to wake up and say “What do I want to do today?”

…no one says I couldn’t create another game that could surpass my original creation.

I think the only thing that would be hard to endure would be if the game than plummets thanks to the new owner(s).

Watch, after it plummets Microsoft will try to sell Mojang back to them for like a quarter of the price…lol