MSP Glitch = You're F**ked

Sort of…
This isn’t like my last thread, read the article from Kotaku.

Source: Kotaku, the Gamer

An algorithm that allowed the generation of working Microsoft point codes resulted in the unauthorized acquisition of what some claim could be as high as $1.2 million in virtual currency. Microsoft tells Kotaku that they looking into punishing those that took advantage.

Microsoft points might not be real money but they are purchased with real money, at least that's normally the way it's done. Two days ago an exploit was released onto the internet that allowed users to generate countless codes good towards the redemption of 160 Microsoft points by using an algorithm that generated new numbers based on used codes.

Microsoft points can be used to purchase games and downloadable content on Xbox Live, as well as the Zune Marketplace and Games for Windows Live.

Microsoft discovered the exploit within hours, but not before a substantial number of codes were generated.

"We are aware of the situation and have taken steps to invalidate the codes obtained illegitimately," Microsoft told Kotaku in an official statement this afternoon.

With Microsoft able to track the generated codes, that means they can also track accounts that cashed in the generated codes for points.

And since they can track the damage, they are qualified to tell us that the $1.2 million figure being thrown about is far from the actual number. "We can't share specific numbers, but the figure is nowhere near the amount that has been reported."

Still, those that partook could soon face the swift arm of Microsoft justice.

"We take safety and security very seriously and require that Xbox LIVE members use the service in compliance with applicable laws and specifically prohibit people from engaging in illegal activity as a part of our Terms of Use and Code of Conduct," the statement continued. Our Policy and Enforcement team is evaluating whether or not certain individuals have violated the Terms of Use for Xbox LIVE and will take the appropriate enforcement on an individual basis."

If you happen to be one of the folks that got your hands on the unauthorized codes, I'd strongly suggest not attempting to cash them in.

Microsoft says that users of legitimately obtained Microsoft point codes have nothing to worry about.

THOUGHTS?

ah **** thats intense, console bans are gonna be handed out

All ready posted here:
https://www.wemod.com/forum/42-xbox-360-news/34387-re-microsoft-invalidates-stolen-points-codes-considers-punishment.html

Let it all blow over. :stuck_out_tongue:

<3 Yes

Ok, Well I haven’t cashed anything out yet

If my console gets banned I just go to bestbuy and they give me a new one cause I have a 4 wanerty on it :smiley: +I have 2 other xboxs

best buy will give u a new xbox for a trading in a banned console that has warranty? i sorta doubt that

You won’t get a console ban, it has nothing to do with your console. If anything you’d most likely get a permaban on the account.

By cash in, what do they mean? Like spend them? Or redeem them.

no bestbuy do not check it to see if you can use it online or even turn it on :smile:

best buy is ****ing ******ed then

Saw this on HF:

“You didn’t steal it as they were given out for free in the first place. That’s like saying “oh no they stole all my pizza samples” and you left them on some sidewalk. They can’t do anything about it as they were at fault for having a faulty way of generating the codes. They would have been better off having them sent via email or something rather than link them to a site. Plus it doesn’t state anywhere in the ToS you can’t redeem MSP, and they cannot say how you obtained the msp or where you got it from. There is no way they can ban anyone for this and if they do the people they ban can take legal action against Microsoft and win.” - Arruke from HF

Best buy does not turn it on they just check if all the parts are in the box then they say go get one and get Brand new one for free :smiley:

true that but what we did was 100% illegal and did cost them alot of $$ so i wouldent be surprised if people do get console banned. Good thing i didnt do it :smile:

Good thing i didn’t redeem any of them :smile: i was a good boy. What i find funny that Dark from TTG is getting all the blame

I love this, kinda makes all the people talking out their bum look dumb. Though now more people are talking out their bum

OH and HOVA your cool peoples so just to let you know they can console ban you for pretty much anything they want so I wouldnt gurantee they wont from this.

There used to be a glitch like this on Fifa where you could get unlimited 800msp codes, my account got perm banned but not my console so I doubt they will console ban for this :smile:

MS muffed up

Nuff said :wink:

lol will kink is clear cause Dark is getting the blame :smile: i can see them account banning you cause then there make there money back kinda but if there console ban people how many would re-buy a xbox

why did you hijack my thread =(