My perfected and streamlined WeMod tutorial for Steam Deck

:joy::joy::joy: we get it, your smarter than us.
thank you for the overlong explanation that literally gave zero info on the actual problem most of the commenters are having. Maybe save yourself sometime and skip the diatribe and actually try to help.

Jo Brandon… tough thing.

@first thanks for takin time and showing us this proof of concept.

Im in IT, but had until couple of days before no contact with proton or my steamdeck at all.
I think a lot of things change constantly and way too fast (protonreleases, wemod releases, gamereleases …) Doing the things only as “described” without further understanding will lead everyone hitting a wall.

Grabbed all that instruction fragments and tried to realise what its for. In the End it wasn´t a great deal at all. But finally it didn`t work…not because of Brandons instructions, but wemod doesnt recognise the Game as 64bit app. Diggin deeper leads to headaches.

As long as WeMod doesnt push the things for Steamdeck, I dont think there will ever be a reliable instruction to get running this. I read all the replies here and followed Brandon´s breadcrumbs here… my conclusion is, that WeMod isnt cooperative in any way. There is no interest in progression, help or whatever and there is the culprit… not Brandon.

Look by yourself what the answers are here in the forums when Brandon asked something. If I would see someone is trying to invest time to give my Product more benefit, I would try to help him as much as possible… not with empty phrases (support level 0).

And now ask yourself whats the point investing more time in this dead end?!?

@YaVadda WeMod can’t provide support for this because it isn’t even designed for Linux based Operating Systems at this time.

If WeMod supported the use of the app on Linux/Steam Deck, then sure, we’d look into it further.

As of this time though, WeMod is currently for Windows Operating Systems. That’s not to say that WeMod won’t look into Mac/Linux based Operating Systems in future, but at this current time, there’s no way to provide support for operating systems that WeMod isn’t designed for yet.

Did you install it with Proton-6.19-GE-2? Proton 7+ has administrator UAC on automatically with no way to disable it, but in Proton 6, it works as a regular user. If you still get that go to Regedit, and follow the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, then change the value of EnableLUA from 1 to 0.

I haven’t been able to get WeMod running on every game, but most games I’ve tried to install it on works almost perfectly. Main issue is just how freaking long it takes to install it on multiple prefixes, that’s why I’m hoping sonic2kk is able to integrate its installation into Steam Tinker Launch as a feature, like Vortex mod manager and MO2. If the process can be automated, it’ll be a lot easier.

Made a video, hope it helps people to follow along better. I know screenshots aren’t optimal, but video making/editing isn’t something I’m very good at. Took me all ■■■■■■■ day to figure out how to cut 20 seconds in the areas i put in my password.

1 Like

Thank you for the guide my friend, hope someday we can get WeMod inside DECKY, so we can do everything easier

1 Like

A launcher is being developed, it just had a big update today.

1 Like

great news, thank you for sharing, didn’t read it before, hope it gets better and better, thank you for the info

1 Like

So, I’ve followed the instructions on the video guide and got the dotnet framework 4.8 installed without any issues. I then switched the proton version to 6-19-GE2 as instructed and did another one time run of the Uninstaller to install Wemod (WeMod-8.9.0.exe) but nothing happens. I wait for a long time but the Wemod installation screen never pops up and nothing gets installed. I’ve made sure that the winecfg is set to Windows 7 the entire time. Anything else I should try or is this an issue with the WeMod-8.9.0.exe?

Are you using Proton-6.19-GE-2 to run the WeMod installer? That error has to do with how Proton 7+ handles UAC administrator permissions. But i no longer recommend directly using the installer, instead open it with 7zip and extract the wemod_bin folder from inside the exe and use the WeMod.exe from the wemod_bin folder, you can use it for every game and it bypasses the need to install WeMod to each and every single prefix, so all you need to install is DotNet Framework 4.8 using Proton GE 7-35 and Winecfg set to Windows 7

There is a Linux installer/launcher now for WeMod, which is what taught me about the wemod_bin folder. It works mostly, but isn’t always reliable with the DotNet install, but if you use it you can install DotNet yourself and add a blank .wemod_installer file inside the prefix, next to the drive_c folder, which tells the installer, to ignore the DotNet install.

Tried following your instructions and when I tried installing the dotnet48 using uninstaller, nothing happens after I open the file the installer is not popping-up. Any suggestions on this?

You don’t have to use uninstaller, i like to because that’s the only way it shows up in the programs list. What windows is set in Winecfg? And what Proton are you using?

Hi @BrandonKingM , Thanks for your tutorial and efforts! I tried to follow the steps in the tutorial but I got stuck in running the uninstaller. I selected the Framework 4.8 exe file several times but nothing happened. Same happens when I select the Wemod installer. Can you please help? Some photos are added. Thanks!

Photo Folder

1 Like

Try running it in One Time Run

So I’ve downloaded the file and it asks me to select the program I want to use to open the file: ndp-48-… exe

Are there even more detailed instructions that detail out every step like I’m and extraordinary dull child? Because your instructions seem to gloss over a few steps.

1 Like

There are several ways. Download ProtonTricks from the Discover Store and then you can have it open exe files with ProtonTricks when you click on it. My preferred method though is Steam Tinker Launch, go to Discover Store, download ProtonUp-Qt, download Steam Tinker Launch from that, in the dropdown menu. Also download Proton GE 7-35. Then restart the Steam client. Go to a game, go to Properties, then Compatibility, select Steam Tinker Launch in the dropdown box. Start the game, a gray box will pop up, you only have a couple seconds to click the Main Menu button in the botton corner. Go to One Time Run, set Proton to GE 7-35, sometimes it takes longer for STL to register new Proton versions then Steam does, honestly not sure how long, but when you see it in the list is when you can use it. Select the DotNet file from the Command box, then click Run. Then go back to the Discover Store and download PeaZip, use PeaZip to open up the WeMod installer exe, then extract the .nupkg file inside of it. Open that file up with PeaZip and extract the lib folder to either Home or Documents, somewhere easy to reach. Inside that folder is a folder called net45. That has everything you need for WeMod, use the WeMod.exe file in there, and it can be used universally so all you need to install per game is DotNet 4.8. In Steam Tinker Launch, from the Main Menu, look at the bottom for Game Menu. In there, check the Use Custom Command box and the Fork Custom Command box, then click the Custom Command file explorer box and select the WeMod.exe from the net45 folder. Proton GE 7-35 is the most compatible Proton version for WeMod and DotNet, but it has a weird bug where it’ll spam you with Javascript error messages. So to fix that, in Game Menu scroll down to Proton Settings, this is where you’ll set the Proton version for the game itself, but look for the area with checkboxes saying stuff like PROTON NO D3Dxx, at the top of that list is a checkbox that says something like Use ‘winedebugsettings with Proton’. Check it. Then scroll to the bottom to Wine, and find WINEDEBUGSETTINGS. There is only one option in the dropdown menu, select it and delete everything except -Vulkan. I’m very certain Proton GE 7-35 is the only one you need to do this step for, but like I said, in general it’s got the highest universal compatibility. Most versions of Proton 7 GE work fine, but some games might not work with the specific Proton version you are using then you just gotta try a few until both the game and WeMod are working. i can’t get it working on Proton 8+ except GE 8-4. You will know if WeMod is incompatible with a specific Proton version if when it launches you get the Windows reinstall error that their troubleshooting claims is usually caused by an anti-virus. Just try a different Proton version until the login screen appears.

These steps can largely be done in any order, it really doesn’t matter until you click save and play, that’s why i had PeaZip separate from the first Discover Store trip. It was just to keep the DotNet stuff separate from the WeMod stuff while explaining

And sorry for late response, i generally hop on the forums once every couple weeks.