Speeding up your internet speeds with OpenDNS/Google DNS

OpenDNS is a DNS server, which just means it’s used to lookup IP addresses from hostnames and hostnames from IP addresses. ISP servers are often rather poor, slower to update entries and so on. OpenDNS is much quicker and more up to date, when browsing - which invovles many DNS requests - you will notice the difference. It won’t make a difference to gaming though.

This is free, but there are paid versions, but this is what you’ll get:

A faster InternetWebsites will load faster, and with OpenDNS’ 100% up-time, you won’t have to worry about unreachable websites and DNS outages from your ISP.
Robust Web content filteringWith over 50 customizable filtering categories, OpenDNS Web content filtering keeps employees productive at work, and keeps parents and teachers in control of what websites children visit at home and at school.
Phishing protectionOpenDNS blocks phishing websites that try to steal your identity and login information by pretending to be a legitimate website. Surf the Web with confidence.

So what to speed up your internet? Head on over to OpenDNS and sign up for an account at:

And follow the step by step guide they’ve made for all OS’s.

Now on the flipside of things Google run the Google Public DNS, you want receive all the features of OpenDNS, but some seem to think it is faster (it will be unnoticeable).
Google Public DNS

Here is a feature comparison of Google Public DNS and OpenDNS:
OpenDNS > OpenDNS vs. Google Public DNS
(It’s done by OpenDNS, but it is more or less accurate)

[u][/u]Installation[b][/b] (I use GoogleDNS as an example):

This installation shows how to change your DNS on just one computer, however if you change your DNS settings on your router you can change it for all computers on your network.

Always remember to test your speeds (not with speedtest.net) because depending on the quality of your ISP, they may give you better service just because their DNS servers are closer.

Testing which is faster!This part is easy, just download the Domain Name Speed Benchmark from here: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

And run it, once the test is done you can choose the best DNS server for you!

You’ll get an image like that, and now you can choose the fastest one for you!

I tried but I personally didnt notice a difference, not to say that others wont, anyways great tutorial.

Yeah did this on my laptop, really didnt do anyting to help me out. But it is a good post, and i really hope this helps someone else

~Anime

Yeah, a lot of times it isn’t noticeable, but for DSL, and slow connections with smaller ISP’s you will notice. Plus it is really nice if there is a OpenDNS server in your area. Or for me, Charter DNS servers in my area completely suck, so the 20Mb/s speed I get with the OpenDNS servers helps.

And I love the features of OpenDNS, I use them all the time. Especially the mistype correction.

If your using wirless follow this same tut, but for the DNS server address put: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

I just added a great new section on testing the DNS servers, I found a nice benchmark for finding the best ones for you!

Thanks for giving information,
It’s very useful Article for improve my slow internet speed.Now i have better internet speed.I checked my new net speed using ScanmySpeed.com I got good results.