[TUT] Achieve the best connection possible

This tutorial will cover how to maxiumize your connection in Black Ops and Xbox Live in general. Now this isn’t how to make your internet amazing or anything so stop right there. This tutorial is to show how to allow your connection to get the best results when finding / connecting to a server.

What I’ll be covering:
Portforwarding w/ correct Ports
The advantages of Portforwarding

What you’ll need:
A modem to router set-up
Modem > Router > Xbox

Step 1.
This should be the simplest part, now that you have everything ready (your router) you will need to connect to your router. Most of the time the way to do this is to type: http://192.168.1.1/ into your browser. Thus bringing up a user prompt to enter a name and password. By default the Username AND Password will be admin however it depends if you changed it or someone else or maybe the router has a different default which you can check by going here: Default Router Passwords - The internets most comprehensive router password database.

Step 2.
Once logged in we will be looking at the settings of our router, now all routers WILL look different but for me I will be using Linksys. Now just look around till you have something that look’s like the following without the ports:

Step 2 Image

Step 4.
Now that you have this open you will now need to make the ports. I will explain below.
There will be a total of 5 ports. 3 for Xbox Live and 2 for Black Ops.
Here’s is how you should set them up:
Xbox1 - Start: 3074 - End: 3074 - TCP/UDP: Both - IP Address: 192.168.1. [ a number you’ll remember ] I used 3
Xbox2 - Start: 80 - End: 80 - TCP/UDP: Both - IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Xbox3 - Start: 53 - End: 53 - TCP/UDP: Both - IP Address: 192.168.1.3

BlackOps1 - Start: 22728 - End: 22728 - TCP/UDP: Both - IP Address: 192.168.1.3
BlackOps2 - Start: 33233 - End: 33233 - TCP/UDP: Both - IP Address: 192.168.1.3

Now if you don’t have an option for both on the TCP/UDP option then just do the following:
Xbox1 - Start: 80 - End: 80 - TCP/UDP: TCP - IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Xbox2 - Start: 80 - End: 80 - TCP/UDP:UDP - IP Address: 192.168.1.3
and so on.

Step 5.
Alright, now all we pretty much have to do is Save Settings now, however after your done saving make sure you turn offi[/i] WAN Request as it will make your NAT Strict or Moderate and that just won’t cut it online.

Step 5 Image

Step 6.
Now onto the Xbox side of things. We will now need to go to our network settings on our Xbox and you should enter the following:

For the IP Address enter the one you entered for your router. I used 192.168.1.3 for example and just leave the Default Gateway and Subnet Mask alone.

Now for the DNS settings you will have to open up command prompt (search for CMD) and type in the following: ipconfig /all - After you do this it shall bring up a bunch of details and also your DNS settings, if your DNS settings fail to show try to restart your modem/router and try again OR leave on automatic.

Anyway I hope this tutorial helped as It worked for me and now I’m doing pretty good online.

Checking for more game ports:
http://portforward.com/cports.htm – You will find all the game ports, for Xbox 360, PS3 and even PC.
Just make sure you see if it’s Xbox first because it will have Xbox360 infront of it. Also all the ports are mainly going to be 3074. But you never know in the future.

Nice tutorial great job man

Nice, this may achieve sticky.

Very nice tut , thanks man

Nice tut man. Should deffo be made a sticky! Most of my friends don’t know how to do this and i cba to explain to them how to do it as most of them are computer illiterate lol. N im guessing there prob is a small amount of ppl here too that don’t know about this. Nice 1 mate
Btw i think there is a few more ports for xbox live than just the 3.
This is from xbox live support:
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP) <- think that’s just for xbox 360 media center(Not sure)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 1863 (UDP and TCP) <-- for kinect video chat.

Well I want to do this, but Belkin is entirely different. :anguished: