Wemod app triggering Bitdefender Security upon activation of AoE2DE cheats

Today Bitdefender popped up a security alert as soon as I activated the ‘play’ option in the app. Both wemod app and the game was terminated abruptly by bitdefender. This was working fine till yesterday and I don’t think there was any updates to the app, A0E2DE cheats or the game in the last 24 hours since I played. Surprisingly, no files got quarantined or deleted by bitdefender.

This is consistently recurring and not a one-time incident. Screenshot of the alert:

1 Like

Hello there.

In terms of excessive trigger-happiness, BitDefender is one of the worst antivirus products out there. This is not a new issue.
There are even cases of BitDefender blocking crucial Windows 10 files that the Windows OS relies on to run smoothly or connect to the internet correctly.

You will need to whitelist certain files in BitDefender. Instructions below:

1. "Wemod failed loading the cheats into your game" / "We’re having trouble downloading the cheats" - #2 by Ravenfyre.
  2. Or here: How to white-list WeMod in BitDefender!
  3. Or here: Windows Defender marked WeMod as a Trojan - #2 by Ravenfyre

My recommendation is to get rid of BitDefender and replace it with something else. Plenty of free antiviruses do a much better job than BitDefender.

1 Like

Hello,

You have to excuse my paranoia but I have been using Bitdefender for several years now and haven’t faced a single false-positive alert yet. Moreover, as I said, the wemod app and the game cheats were working fine with Bitdefender till yesterday without requiring any kind of exceptions to be added to Bitdefender. It is indeed of concern to me to whitelist an application whose behavior I do not fully understand.

Again I reiterate this is nnot the first time I have been using wemod or the AoE2DE cheat as it was working fine till yesterday. Something changed in the past 24 hours and I am not sure who I should be giving the benefit of doubt.

If you click the third link given above, it explains why false positives occur, sometimes randomly.
WeMod is the largest and also the safest provider of trainers on the internet. It doesn’t make any sense to include malware in the software. The advanced encryption we use to protect our trainers has also never been cracked.

As the lead developer, @frank, pointed out elsewhere, this is a Bitdefender issue, not a WeMod issue:

This was reported by somebody else as well. That file hasn’t been modified in over a month. You can check the timestamp signature to confirm. I don’t know why Bitdefender decided to start flagging it today.

I will have to reach out to them to see what’s going on. Until then, the only thing you can do is add an exception for the executable.