Wrong spot probably but, meh, help with anti-virus for pc

I know avast and avg are good but something with minecraft’s new launcher makes it crash on play when avg is running or avast is running. I know I can temp. disable but I don’t like doing that when I download and play mods, so saftey is a big concern. I also have a problem with mcpatcher not working, not grabbing the launcherprofiles. I need it so I can finish making my resource pack. I’d appreciate any and all help I get from you guys. Sorry if wrong place, but you all are so friendly and nice all the time, a lot better than other forums.

P.S you also keep changing the site, so it’s hard to know what place to go to for help like this.

If you are looking for something that’s free, just use a scanner such as Malwarebytes. Then you don’t have to worry about any interference but it can still do it’s job when you decide you want it to.

If they offer “real-time” and it’s free, it’s probably more detrimental than helpful.

Or just disable all antivirus and you don’t have to worry about anything.

1 Like

Try switching to Avira (https://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-windows). I used to use AVG and Avast and they gave me all kinds of problems but since I switched to Avira I haven’t had any.

Malwarebytes, like Travis, mentioned is major key. I use that with McAfee lol.

You can probably whitelist or add the programs to an exception list to prevent the real-time protection from blocking them.

That would be lovely, how would you do that? Ever since i got rid of avg, minecraft launcher actually does not crash, but i liked having avg and malewarebytes, but just one that does both would be nice.

I’d go Malwarebytes and just be smart regarding what you download in that case.

1 Like

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=How-to-exclude-file-folder-or-website-from-AVG-scanning#

on avast, which im currently using u can make a program pass the antivirus firewall if your having issues with it not working. but id recommend using something like either avast + malwarebytes anti malware, or avg free with malwarebytes anti malware. those work well together, and protect against all kinds of stuff.

I’ll probably do it on Avast or avira, unless panda is good? I don’t like avg anymore, too many interfaces and it’s annoying

Haven’t heard about Panda before. I would rather go with kaspersky, bitdefender or malwarebytes premium if I wanted a paid antivirus. You might be able to get a cheap key on g2a too.

Yeah. Never heard of panda til I googled it. Apparently in 2015 there was a problem with causing black screens on restart, so I didn’t want to risk it.

i think avast is great. ^^ and it doesnt have a bunch of junk on it.

1 Like

I’ll go with that than. Thank you. Oh my, avast has gamemode. that is cool. most anti-virus software doesn’t have that. that is cool. screw avg. Also why we or on this subject, why do people like norton or mcaffee IMO they are viruses themselves.

yeah, norton n mcaffee r crap lol

and yet schools and libraries seem to have it.

I figured out why minecraft luancher keeps erroring with anti-viruses. when you open the launcher it pops up 3 launchers instead of one and you click play, one disappears but the other 2 stay. So anyway to have avast to close the extra 2 after you you click play?

yeah, when buying new computers sometimes u get mcafee or norton for free also, its because they have deals with the ones selling them. :stuck_out_tongue: but its basically just bloatware, or viruses themselves, its useless… free antiviruses r way better.

EDIT: about the launcher issue, i havent encountered that one myself.

Probably a good thing, I think it’s on Windows 7. Than again, did u look in your task manager when you run your launcher to see if it loads 3 of them, I’m wondering if Windows 7 can’t handle it but other PC’s can. Also just to see if you have 3 running without you being aware as well. Just want people to have a fix is all. I made myself a cmd batch file to end it when I want

I haven’t used mcpatcher so I would need a video of the whole process or at least a very detailed description of it in order to figure out what the issue is.

I know batch though. You could add in a start/run command that launches minecraft or mcpatcher and then put a delay on the execution (as in killing, not starting) of the dupes.

Using ping for the delay seems to be the best option (not considering addons) but it fails to actually count the time on certain computers.

I have more written down (exact commands and “research”)on my secondary laptop that I could share tomorrow if you are interested.

yes, that would be very much helpful. I would love to make it pause a little bit, like 1 minute than close them. Others are having the same issue, so a way to have them just click on thing that runs it, and actually plays minecraft than closes all 3 launchers in a batch would be very well useful.