Built-in trainer information

Simplest idea - A quick way to add support for a LOT of (probably older) games would be to have verified information pages for games that have in-built trainers or other codes? For example IDDQD in Doom. Have pages for games listing the things that the user can do themselves.

Bit more complex - Maybe add the ability to launch the game from the ‘play’ button with any necessary command-line switches (to enable dev consoles or the like) - the user may need to point WeMod at the executable, but there could be information on the page to help with locating it.

Tough, but tasty - As you seem to be patching into the keyboard (you’re catching the hotkeys), maybe it would be possible to ‘Macro’ those codes into the input chain - blasting them through to the game when a hotkey is pressed; ‘Numpad 1 - send IDDQD’ sort of thing…

A topic on the forum could allow users to link to sources of information, staff could verify operation, and then add the pages… Lots of trainers for very little effort.

Just a thought.

Thank you for your suggestion! :slight_smile:

Sounds cool, but I should point out that trainers, console commands and cheat codes work very differently.
For example, trainers work by injecting code into your PC’s RAM. Whereas built-in commands or codes work by physically editing the game’s files.

Using built in codes and commands will have negative effects, like disabling the ability to earn achievements and, in the case of console commands, corrupt saves (console commands are not cheating tools, they are testing tools left over from when the game was in closed development, which the devs never bothered to remove from the final release version. The game devs do add notes in their help resources to say you shouldn’t really use console commands and that you are fully responsible for possibly corrupting your own saves if you do).

Using built-in codes or commands also hides you from leaderboards usually. And in some games using them will disable the ability to save your game (ie, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin’s Creed, etc). And some permanently mark you as a cheater if you go online to play later (which can cause people to constantly kick you from private servers). Trainers do not cause these issues, which is why people consider trainers to generally be far superior than built-in cheats. :slight_smile:

@Ravenfyre I’d argue that most games that include cheat codes are older games that don’t have achievements, leaderboards, and possibly not even a saved game file to corrupt. There’s a clear distinction between cheat codes and console commands. I view the former as a first-class feature of the game, meaning they’re likely stable. I never had an issue with a cheat code myself, but granted I mainly only used them for console games! For console commands, they vary in stability for every game, so I don’t think it can be generalized.

@moogthedog WeMod already supports launching games with custom command-line arguments, but they are entered by the creator on a trainer-by-trainer basis. You’re saying it would be helpful to add your own? Can you give an example where that would be helpful?

It’s funny you mention the whole macro thing because we’ve implemented it in a recent trainer :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Then add a note to that effect to the page. There’s already a ‘required reading’ portion to each page which is sometimes used to warn the user of negative effects - Diablo II Resurrected is a good modern example. “If you use these you may end up with your game licence revoked” is a pretty big minus, but the mod’s still there.

Utterly agree - I’m a long-time user of Cheat Engine, and WeMod packaging it all up neatly and securely is an absolute godsend. But there’s a limited pool of resource for making new trainers, and adding freely-available verified information about in-built cheats seems like it would be an easy route to potentially massively increase the reach for the app for a relatively small effort. That would knock-on to add subscribers and therefore allow faster development for the trainers we love. :slight_smile:

It’s not so much for the user to add willy-nilly, but to support the built-in cheat page.

Let’s pretend that you’ve got a page for the original Wolf3D. (Yes, I know it doesn’t run under Windows, but it’s before first coffee and the only one I’ve got on the top of my head at the moment. Run with it…)

The information on the page would tell you that you needed to start the game with the ‘goobers’ command line option to enable the cheats, but that’s a bit of a faff to actually do. So the ‘play’ button would allow the user to locate the executable and would then run the game with that command line option. The page then also lists the TAB-x keyboard cheats that would then work in-game, ready to go.