College Starts Soon. Any Tips/Suggestions?

I am heading off to my first day of college this next monday. I am extremely nervous. I know college is different than high school because it’s a lot harder and you have to try more to actually get decent grades. I am going in for business and economics so my hands will be tied for the next 4 years. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to power through those tough classes and balance your life in a great way?

I am most worried about not getting good grades in my classes. In high school I was straight A and high B student. However, I have seen a lot of my older friends go into college who were pretty smart and drop out. Not because they partied hard; but it was because college was to hard. I’m not worried about partying or meeting new people because that’s all easy.

So if you are in college or have graduated, what would some tips or suggestions you would leave me with, and what were some things that you passed up in college in your first year that you really wish you did?

Thanks guys!

You’ll do great in college, the atmosphere is different than high school, but the rules are the same. Make friends, get to know everyone, have fun, no point of going to college knowing little about the school and it’s students. Relax, you’ll be fine, it’s simply another school. I majored in general arts. Can’t think any classes I wanted to take, mostly because I did it just to become an officer in the army.

College grades depend mainly on how you will study. If you go to OSU and decide to attend parties, not study, and not ask your RA questions, you will find you are not doing as well as you might have wanted to be doing. Overall though you will enjoy the freedom most likely. The only tip I can give is to really just not be stupid and party. Hopefully you aren’t going to a party school anyways.

Just like middle/high school, every one has a different experience so I feel as if a lot of advise is a waste of time because we could say something, but you’d never experience it the exact same way. Anyways, to actually give you something of advice, I’d just have to say be mature. A lot of high school graduates will go to college and slack off because they aren’t given any rules by another and aren’t smart enough to implement there own set of rules/guidelines. Since you pushed yourself for good grades in high school than I’m sure you’re smart enough to get good grades in college, just be mature and don’t slack with your assignments. Like you said, there are a lot of people I know that graduated high school with good grades, yet went to college to become your average student and it’s because they didn’t stay on top of their work…would rather hangout with friends, party, play video games, etc. rather than get their work done so they can graduate with grades that could land them a job in the field in which they went to school for.

I’m sure what I said is what you’ve already burned into your head, but I just hate to see people try to better themselves only to be let down because they couldn’t buckle down and commit.

P.S.
I’m not saying to not socialize or not leave your dorm room or anything because it’d kind of suck to look back on your college experience and regret not doing something other than study, but just be smart about your time…if you have an assignment that is due at the end of the month along with a few other projects than make sure they are completed to which will land you a good grade than handout/do whatever you want to do to relax.

Also, something that could be added above, don’t feel embarrassed to ask for help when you don’t understand something. Even though a lot of professors have their specific hours in which one can come see them, don’t feel embarrassed to seek help from another student; just make sure that student understands the material in which you’re struggling with/or actually shows up to class on a regular basis.

Best of luck and don’t be nervous, you’ll be fine.

GO TO CLASS AND PUT SOME EFFORT IN.

Meet as many people from different groups as you can. Once you’re finished it can be who you know, not what you know, that can get you a great job.

Don’t procrastinate.

Actually **** that. You will procrastinate all the ****ing time, and if you like to party may lord have mercy on your soul. College/Universities workloads are much larger and you’ll likely be blindsided by it so prepare to have a ton of work.

Also, rip your bank account.

Oh my, I completely forgot to mention books!
To keep it short and sweet, if you get put into a class where the textbook will cost you an arm-and-a-leg try to share a book; see if any other student would like to go half-in on the book and you two share it. Yes it’ll mean that there will be moments when you aren’t able to use it because the other person is using it, but that’s where it shows you how to manage your time and get your work done when needed…because if you don’t capitalize on when you have the book than you could miss out on completing the assignment.

Again, best of luck and I’m sure you’ll do fine…you’re just experiencing the jitters because it’ll be a new environment.

The only thing I have to say is sleep more than you study, study more than you party. Sleeping enough will help you a lot. If there is a party you want to go to but you have a test the next day at like noon don’t stay out all night, give yourself at least 9 hours. People may give you **** for it but I would rather have the grades than party all the time. You will have plenty of down time though to do stuff.

Go to class and make sure you put time aside to do work and study. As long as you can prioritize you will be fine.

Thanks guys! Do you know of any ways to make my organization better? Like a calendar to buy thats good for school or an app or a computer program or something?

Just use your phone’s calendar, reminder, and notes apps. If you must use a physical planner, get a very small sized one that you can keep in your pocket everyday to write dates and short notes in. Take advantage of all of the services that your university offers as part of your tuition (gym, writing help center, library, subject tutoring, professor’s office hours, etc.)

I always used my phone as it syncs with the calendar on my mac.

Just started my senior year with the same motives. Be yourself, don’t be someone you think is cool. Being yourself will make your friends and loose your friends but that in turn will show who your true friends are. Have fun but don’t get in trouble.