Removing Yahoo Search Engine

Greetings,

Now I have a new problem, it seems when I installed the new Horizon, it made Yahoo my default search engine. I have removed it several times but it keeps coming back. The only time it stays gone for good is when I Uninstall my copy of Horizon.

Is there anyway to fix this without losing my modding tool?

Thank you
SweetWench

1 Like

Are you sure HORIZON is installing the YAHOO search engine on your system ? Don’t think so.

Seems unlikely, as I don’t think the copy of Horizon might do such a thing, unless you downloaded HORIZON from some unknown source.

Always download the tool from the official Webpage, which is this:

https://www.wemod.com/horizon

Which WEB browser are you using ? Have you also scanned your system for any kind of Malware/Adware, VIRUS infection as well, just in case, to be on a safer side ?

Many third-party browser hijackers might also change your default search engine, even some add-ons like the Youtube Downloader Toolbar.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure horizon no longer has optional adware so it must be something else.

And even if horizon would contain adware/malware, uninstalling horizon wouldn’t help, adware/malware would still be there.

You should really be more careful of where you download stuff, then things like this wouldn’t happen.

Wemod.com/horizon/download is the official webpage for downloading horizon.

Hi, the Horizon download page offers to install an extension that makes your new tab page a Yahoo search. If you accepted that offer, you can uninstall it by uninstalling the browser extension. However, you said that you can only remove it when uninstalling Horizon, which leads me to believe that you may have downloaded an unofficial, possibly infected, installer. I’d perform a full virus/spyware scan on your machine just in case.

1 Like

I downloaded the Horizon from this website and only from this one. When I click to install the box comes up asking if I want download the file and I say yes. When click on the downloaded file, there are no questions asking me to install a Yahoo Search Engine.

After Horizon is installed this what appears in my settings on my browser for search engines. How do I remove it?

Just select GOOGLE, or any other engine of your choice from the drop-down Menu list, under the Default Search Engine box/bar.

You should be able to choose some other option over here, as well as UNCHECK the tick-mark for the “Wemod Search engine”, under the one-click search engines bar.

Make sure “Wemod Search engine” is NOT selected or ticked. This is important. Just put a tick on GOOGLE.

Or, just click on the REMOVE button (bottom right side), when the Wemod Search engine option has been selected. This should remove it from your browser.

Yahoo doesn’t seem to appear on your list here though, but maybe Wemod Search engine is behaving in a similar manner.

Edit:

Btw, I just tried installing Horizon, and I don’t have this search engine option, and nor there was any prompt asking to install this either !

I have removed the “Wemod Community Search Engine” that way and every time I re-open my browser it comes back! The only way it stays gone is when I uninstall this version of Horizon.

At this point I am ready to look for an earlier version of Horizon to solve the problem.

That’s kind of strange, if you ask me.

1 Like

Strange and annoying.

Who is “Daring Development”? When I downloaded Horizon that was the folder the download created, the file comes from wemod.s3.amazonaws.com.

They are the SOFTWARE company who made this Horizon tool, as well as WeMod.

The Web site and Service(s) are provided by Daring Development, Inc., d/b/a WeMod, a New York corporation with a principal place of business located at 745 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02111.

But the odd part is, actually I don’t have this search Engine on any of my web browsers.

1 Like

Just to make sure you are clicking “Skip” on this screen, correct?

I downloaded it without the offer and it didn’t install any kind of search engine.

1 Like

Actually, I never got this OFFER page at my end, while downloading Horizon, which would explain the reason even I don’t have this search engine installed on my system, unlike the OP.

But pretty sure the OP might have clicked on the optional offer (Add & Download).

1 Like

Daring Development is the company behind Horizon. Thats the folder where horizon is installed.

@pdhar If you’re logged in, it won’t show up.

1 Like

Okay, now I get it !

1 Like

I don’t know a better way to explain the problem, Whether, I am logged in or not, the box shown by Chris does NOT appear when I download Horizon.

And every single time I download Horizon all it get is the pop up asking if I want to save the following file:

After I click save file and it downloads the following screen appears:

That’s it NO question asking if I want the search engine appears. And after I install Horizon, is when the “Wemod Community Search Engine” appears just the like screen shot shown above. And every singe time I remove it, it comes back when I open my browser.

The Horizon installer does not install or do anything with the Yahoo search extension. It knows nothing about it. I’m not sure what else I can do.

And yet, I have this problem because of this install.

My husband was able to locate and remove the search engine, the file creates an add-on extension in the browser. So unless that is removed it is not truly deleted.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying how you uninstalled it. Apologies for the confusion.

Where was it located exactly? i cant get rid of that annoying search engine, jesus christ, i already uninstalled Horizon