WeMod not working. (Bitdefender)

Hey all,

So tried to follow the directions from How to white-list WeMod in BitDefender!

I did it all as well as deleted the WeMod folders leftover.

Though Bitdefender is different now in how exclusions work. Even if I create an exception for every possible thing I can, whenever I try to download a trainer, it flags it as a trojan and pushes it aside. If I restore it, it only brings it back to downloads and then I repeat the process.

Any ideas?

Try whitelisting the WeMod folders themselves:

1. C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\WeMod
  2. C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\WeMod

This should mitigate any flags by Bitdefender since the entire folder(s) are blanket white listed.

These three files are recommended to whitelist from the get go:

1. C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\WeMod\Update.exe
  2. C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\WeMod\WeMod.exe
  3. C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\WeMod\app-x.x.xx\resources\app.asar.unpacked\static\unpacked\auxiliary\WeModAuxiliaryService.exe

You may need to check the box under the ‘view’ tab to see hidden items in file explorer to see any appdata files:

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

Won’t whitelist file locations. Only specific file types. Namely .exe

Already did the second part.

No success.

Bitdefender is very aggressive. If it’s not too much trouble, either snooze Bitdefender for a few minutes or disable when downloading known safe files. Not much else to do with Bitdefender really. I personally don’t use any paid AV and only use the Windows Defender that comes with Windows 10 and it does a damn good job and is comparable to Norton and Malwarebytes.

Is there an ‘allow anyway’ button when it flags a file?

Side note: why are you downloading individual trainers? They are all available within the WeMod app and shouldn’t need to be separately downloaded.

Not entirely sure.

Every time I play a new game and click ‘play’ on a trainer it downloads some files that Bitdefender freaks out at.

Hmmm… I know that WeMod creates some trainer files once it injects, but those could be flagged since they are .dlls I’m pretty sure. I did find some documentation from Bitdefenders knowledge base about adding entire folders to exceptions:

Maybe this will work?

Yea I saw that too and sadly that was under the old system. I can only exclude a file from certain scans and that is it.

Make sure you’ve completely removed WeMod from your PC first. Simply adding it to the whitelist after your antivirus has intercepted it will not restore anything that your AV potentially permanently deleted.
Once completely removed, turn off BitDefender and download the WeMod installer from here: https://api.wemod.com/client/download.
When reinstalled, add WeMod as an exception in BitDefender before you launch it. The two files you need to add as an exception are:

• Update.exe (C:\Users\YOURPCUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\WeMod)
  • WeModAuxiliaryService.exe (C:\Users\YOURPCUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\WeMod\YOUR_USERNAME\resources\app.asar.unpacked\static\unpacked\auxiliary)

There’s always a way to whitelist files in an antivirus, because they know they aren’t perfect and will block safe things every now and again.

BitDefender is a trigger-happy cowboy that seems to like blocking things just for fun. I’ve seen someone here in this forum report in the past that BitDefender was blocking their Command Prompt program and another user reported that BitDefender was blocking two critical files that the Windows 10 OS relies on to run smoothly… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
When your premium BD subscription ends (if you have one), it might be worth looking into getting a decent free AV. The free ones do a good enough job as long as you’re smart to never click dodgy links (ie in spam emails). Never paid for an AV in my life and never had any serious infections.

Already followed all those steps from the previous thread.

It is whenever I try to click play/download a new trainer. Bitdefender says no and quarantines the file.

It doesn’t delete anything other than the files I try to download so I can use the trainer.

Could you try turning BitDefender off when using WeMod with a game?
Other than what @User_N4m3 already said, there’s nothing else I can add myself. We haven’t had anybody else in this community having as much trouble with BitDefender and WeMod as you’re having. Whitelisting the two aforementioned files (or deleting it entirely and replacing it with a different AV) has usually resolved everybody’s BitDefender woes.

1 Like

Can also try to : delete , disable, get rid of bitdefender.

I would if it wasn’t so good with web security. Plus it has caught and prevented real malware that gets hidden into things.

1 Like

Yes it’s true Some people like to have an AV
I haven’t had an AV for years. Just rely on good ol windows defender
But mainly just use my PC for gaming and wemod