WeMod works for a short time, then blacks out

Same as the title. It’ll work for a bit, and then the cheats will cease functioning in the game and when I tab out to wemod, it’s gone blank. I can reboot my computer and that resets it for a time, but anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour later and it’ll just black out again.

I was told to create my own post on this. Be gentle, I’m old but willing to learn.

Hello and welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

It’s possible something might have gone wrong or become corrupted during download or installation - which isn’t anybody’s fault in particular, just one of the many quirks of Microsoft Windows.

First thing to try is a complete clean re-install of WeMod:

1. Open your start menu, type add or remove programs into the search box. And click the first option that appears.

2. A list of all the stuff installed on your PC should now appear. Search for WeMod in that list.
    Click the three dots on the right of WeMod in the list, then choose “Uninstall”.

3. Once it is uninstalled, open File Explorer (for example, your “My Documents” folder.

4. At the top of that folder is an address box. Type in there: %appdata% and press enter.
    If you see a folder called “WeMod”. Click it and delete it.

5. In the address bar again, this time type %localappdata% and press enter again.
    If you see another “WeMod” folder in there, delete this one too.

6. Now download and re-install WeMod again: https://www.wemod.com/.

Hopefully, the issue will then be solved. But if not, let us know. :smiley:

So, I uninstalled Malware Bytes in the middle of all of this, about a week ago when trying the problem solving laid out in other posts.

Just now, I yet again uninstalled, rebooted, deleted all associated folders, rebooted, checked with Windows Defender (I’m on win11) that it had Wemod white listed, redownloaded, reinstalled, and rebooted.

It’s now reinstalled, and the icon is coming up generic icon, and not the WM logo. Sigh. And as expected, it crashed to black when I went to use it. So, no go.

Thank you for the update. :slight_smile:

I am not able to replicate the problem myself. But since we have had more than one report of this recently, I’ve made @frank, who is WeMod’s Senior Developer (& co-founder), aware of them. :slight_smile:

I would like to add I’m getting this issue too… Or was. Now everytime I even start the program it just shows black.

I know it’s an unpopular belief, probably, but I’m just going to say it. It’s f’ing electron and websockets. They’re the cancer of the internet. At one point there was a bug with electron where it was saturating peoples’ GPUs because it required exclusive access – I’ll see if I can find that issue report on GitHub… Wow. Ok, maybe not. I just did a search on the issue page of Electron’s GitHub repo for “GPU” and there’s 24 pages of results. Seriously electron developers?? Seriously?

Then there’s websockets associated with modern day web apps. I don’t know if it’s Chrome’s (and thus by extension Chromium Embedded Framework) bullshit memory handling, but it’s bad. I mean, REALLY bad. At work, if I have gmail open, Azure Active Directory open, Teams open, and Spotify (yep, you guessed it… an electron app) it will bring my Linux workstation to its knees just browsing pages and opening tabs. Granted, I may be running with like 16 Chrome windows and maybe 3 - 7 tabs in each window. However, everything works great. Humming along nicely and just fine. No issue. I could be not even scrolling a page, just reading what’s already visible, and I can move mouse cursor around no problem, but literally for some inexplicable reason, 5 minutes into just reading the page and not even scrolling, BAM the entire system just comes to a complete screeching halt. I literally have to start invoking Linux’s OOM killer via kernel debugging features, and what’s the common denominator between all this? Electron, and websockets associated with modern day web apps (electron apps using websockets). I’d probably have the same issue with Edge since that’s now basically Chromium. Opera has similar issues, and I think even FireFox (despite it being it’s own rendering engine). Websockets and electron == baaaaad… I understand the desire to write it like that because it makes AaaS (Applications as a Service) easy since it’s javascript code, and to shift to cloud would make porting code much simpler, but for those of us paying, can we PLEASE have an actual desktop application? If all the interface is doing is holding the trainers for us and launching the trainers (not even really doing the cheats since that’s begin done by CELib_x64 and TrainerLib_x64), then would it really be too much to just make a simple desktop app?

Sorry to necropost, but I wanted to say that I’m using an Asus and I tried the instructions in this video, and WeMod has consistently worked since. I’ve also had far fewer crashing issues. So… someone smarter than I am can probably figure out the whys?