My perfected and streamlined WeMod tutorial for Steam Deck

There are several ways. Download ProtonTricks from the Discover Store and then you can have it open exe files with ProtonTricks when you click on it. My preferred method though is Steam Tinker Launch, go to Discover Store, download ProtonUp-Qt, download Steam Tinker Launch from that, in the dropdown menu. Also download Proton GE 7-35. Then restart the Steam client. Go to a game, go to Properties, then Compatibility, select Steam Tinker Launch in the dropdown box. Start the game, a gray box will pop up, you only have a couple seconds to click the Main Menu button in the botton corner. Go to One Time Run, set Proton to GE 7-35, sometimes it takes longer for STL to register new Proton versions then Steam does, honestly not sure how long, but when you see it in the list is when you can use it. Select the DotNet file from the Command box, then click Run. Then go back to the Discover Store and download PeaZip, use PeaZip to open up the WeMod installer exe, then extract the .nupkg file inside of it. Open that file up with PeaZip and extract the lib folder to either Home or Documents, somewhere easy to reach. Inside that folder is a folder called net45. That has everything you need for WeMod, use the WeMod.exe file in there, and it can be used universally so all you need to install per game is DotNet 4.8. In Steam Tinker Launch, from the Main Menu, look at the bottom for Game Menu. In there, check the Use Custom Command box and the Fork Custom Command box, then click the Custom Command file explorer box and select the WeMod.exe from the net45 folder. Proton GE 7-35 is the most compatible Proton version for WeMod and DotNet, but it has a weird bug where it’ll spam you with Javascript error messages. So to fix that, in Game Menu scroll down to Proton Settings, this is where you’ll set the Proton version for the game itself, but look for the area with checkboxes saying stuff like PROTON NO D3Dxx, at the top of that list is a checkbox that says something like Use ‘winedebugsettings with Proton’. Check it. Then scroll to the bottom to Wine, and find WINEDEBUGSETTINGS. There is only one option in the dropdown menu, select it and delete everything except -Vulkan. I’m very certain Proton GE 7-35 is the only one you need to do this step for, but like I said, in general it’s got the highest universal compatibility. Most versions of Proton 7 GE work fine, but some games might not work with the specific Proton version you are using then you just gotta try a few until both the game and WeMod are working. i can’t get it working on Proton 8+ except GE 8-4. You will know if WeMod is incompatible with a specific Proton version if when it launches you get the Windows reinstall error that their troubleshooting claims is usually caused by an anti-virus. Just try a different Proton version until the login screen appears.

These steps can largely be done in any order, it really doesn’t matter until you click save and play, that’s why i had PeaZip separate from the first Discover Store trip. It was just to keep the DotNet stuff separate from the WeMod stuff while explaining

And sorry for late response, i generally hop on the forums once every couple weeks.

A better way to install WeMod

Go to the Discover Store and download PeaZip, use PeaZip to open up the WeMod installer exe like a zip, then extract the .nupkg file inside of it. Open that file up like a zip with PeaZip and extract the lib folder to either Home or Documents, somewhere easy to reach. Inside that folder is a folder called net45. That has everything you need for WeMod, use the WeMod.exe file in there, and it can be used universally so all you need to install per game is DotNet 4.8. This is something i learned fairly recently.

1 Like

How did you get the framework 4.8 to install? It will always fail for me, and how do you open wemod from the exe file with your new founded method? I’m completely new to all of this since I JUST got a steam deck, I have zero understanding of linux and never used it.

1 Like

Are you using GE Proton 7-35? There are a couple others that i know work, but GE 7-35 is the only one that never fails for me. And you just go to the Game Menu in Steam Tinker Launch, tick the use custom command check box and the fork custom command check box, then select the WeMod.exe from the net45 folder as the custom command. If you get the WeMod error where it tells you to retry or reinstall the app, where if you look it up almost all information is about antivirus causing it, its a Proton issue. If you encounter that, just keep trying different Proton versions until both WeMod and the game are working. I’ve had it before where every Proton version that worked for my game did not work for WeMod, and every Proton version that worked for WeMod did not work for my game. The primary one that comes to mind for that is Star Wars Jedi Survivor, it’s not something you should run into regularly, usually just trying different ones will solve it, but occasionally it can happen.

@BrandonKingM i followed your instructions and used the WeMod.exe as the custom command. Using GE-Proton7-35.

When I click the save and play, I get this window saying “Creating a new instance”. Clicking next gives me 2 options, Global instance or Portable instance. Regardless of which one I choose, it asks me to browse to the folder with valid Game installation, which I’m able to do.

But then it just says “does not contain a game Mod Organizer can manage”.

It shows me a list of supported games. Left 4 Dead 2, for example, is not on that list. Although I know WeMod has cheats for it.

Any idea what’s going on or what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks

We have a guide on our discord now if you are interested

Oh! I was not aware. Thank you so much for letting me know. I’ll check it out now.

How do I get wemod to recongize my games the are on my SD card?

Hello theres is a way to run wemod with original games in steam deck?

So, I’m very curious if we mod can be used with games outside of steam, such as Dead Island 2. I got Dead Island 2 to work with this launcher known as Heroic games launcher and I’m not sure how to go about using WeMod with that.

Also, when I launch wreckfest my WeMod detects it as 32 bit no matter which version of it I launch, which I’ve tried both variants of 64bit. Any idea what’s causing this?

Does it work for you with original games?

Lmao, after tinkering and installing Net 4.8 and WeMod 12

with help of ProtonUP-Qt and ProtonTricks on Proton6.19GE2 and Proton Experimental

I finally managed to run WeMod almost perfectly, but…

BUT

WeMod LAUNCH game after press “Play” button but CAN’T SEE and run mods (“We’re Having Trouble starting or finding your opened game”) any official Steam games even if you try reinstall them into wemod folder or change\fix prefix, or do other mumbojumbo with files and exe configurations - nothing is helps.

Only works with pirated games lmao and indi games without launchers.

I thought to buy “Pro” wemod so I don’t need to bring my keyboard and mouse for steam deck to play everywhere what and how I want, but

BUT seeing replies from WeMod moderators and devs about Steam Deck, and see how the don’t give a carry about this - I see only reason back to Fling trainers or Cheat Engine on SteamDeck.

It can be activated much easier, it works, it works without a keyboard.

So don’t waste your time on WeMod for Steam Deck - because its “Windows program” lmao

1 Like

Hello,
After trying everything (dotnet48, proton 6.19, antivirus message, etc.) and waiting for improvements from the WeMod dev team, I’m extremely disappointed to see so little consideration for players on Steam Deck (and Linux).

For a few months now, I’ve only been playing on my Steam Deck.
I am a WeMod pro customer with a current one year subscription, I would not renew it.
As said above, I’m going to fall back on Cheat Engine and Fling’s trainers.

Small message to the WeMod dev team: Be careful, playing on Proton (SteamOs and Liunx) is becoming very popular, you are losing customers. So recompile your program with the latest versions of Mono!

2 Likes

@davicool @SkilledExpert216

Hey! We actually have a full guide to get wemod running on the steam deck and a help section on our discord channel. While the steam deck is not officially supported by us we have two individuals who have developed it, created a guide and provide support. We would like to officially support it but we are currently working on other projects right now.

Here is the link to the guide

And this one will take you to the guide feedback channel

Good morning,
These solutions only work very randomly with, in addition, a lot of effort, failures and starting again.
I’ve already wasted too much time with these endless hacks.
More time wasted trying to get the thing to work than playing.
That’s nice, but no thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your voice of support, but I don’t think we will be heard here, got back to this tread to say about alternative thing which I tested and it worked - straight competitor of WeMod starting from letter A, but they are too sketchy and very SUS (I don’t trust CH team because of their past - and I’m not sure if this changed to better) but Even CH see real potential for customer base from SteamDeck and at least they are trying to do something about it, no matter how and what we really could think and feel about them.

And more frustration and upset about that WeMod team whom I trust much more (because of their background from Trainer’s masters like Fling, MrAntiFun, Stinger, some help from Sun, Fearless Forum and Cheat Engine Forum) - don’t give an apple about this - it’s really frustrating.

Heck, I would glad to pay separate plan if this will be solution to founding WeMod for SteamDeck development. But even if yes - don’t forget, to work WeMod always need internet, so you can forget about that if you on the plain or train or somewhere else without wi-fi

Heck, even current situation on Fearlessrevolution overall become more sad - I think Cheat Engine community is slowly dying with time. It’s okay, it’s how the life works - but just upsetting.

2 Likes

We have things taking higher priority right now, unfortunately. This is still something we absolutely want to get to and bring to our customers but we have other priorities we are currently developing.

I totally agree that it is - my personal opinion - current not worth the effort (=time for end users).

It works mostly randomly, depending on the Proton version, and hoping that the MS installer/wine combination works somehow during the NET installer.

The scripting currently does not help much as under the hood they also use normal Winetricks.

I had no reliable success with SteamTinkerLaunch.

It would help if Wemod could compile a self contained binary without external dependencies / (maybe with less tracking) for Steam Deck users. Yes, I currently think I would pay an extra fee for this.

Recently I found GitHub - SheffeyG/CheatDeck: Launch games with cheat or trainer and other settings in steamdeck quite helpful, maybe this is also path for others (its simple, they use PROTON_REMOTE_DEBUG_CMD to launch an additional exe file of choice in the bottle/protondb), I like it also for the simplicity of using.

1 Like